Monday, April 12, 2010

Waverly - Talking Healthcare @ the Waverly Health Center

In honor of our health care day, we had a quick, healthy lunch before moving on to our event in Waverly.

We went to a place I had visited before - Tendrils Rooftop Garden. I stopped here as part of my Travel Iowa tour last summer, and It was a very relaxing visit. At the time, I said I wanted to come back. So I was looking forward to being here today because I was told it was going to be 75 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately, it was about 50 degrees and overcast. Oh well. The views were still great.

After I bent the ear of the Waverly residents that joined us, we had a lively discussion about health care. One of the questions we were asked was " how do kids get covered under the state health insurance plan". This is a really good question. Our state's child health insurance program - hawk-I - has helped give thousands of kids access to quality, affordable health care. When combined with our investments in Medicaid, we have helped 57,000 kids receive health insurance over the past three years.

But the only way kids can access it is if their parents sign them up. We have done several outreach efforts on the state level to get parents to sign up their kids.

But, if you know of anyone whose kids don't have health insurance, tell them to contact the state, and get their kids enrolled in hawk-I. Tell them to visit hawk-i.org or call 800.257.8563.

Well, White Beauty is riding again. This time to our final stop of the day in Charles City.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment