Friday, January 22, 2010

Kaleidoscope Preschool






We just left Red Oak, but I really wished I could have stayed a bit longer.

Our last stop was at the Kaleidoscope Preschool to highlight further investment in our state's voluntary preschool program.


When we took office, the Governor and I made a commitment to give all of our children access to quality, affordable preschool. And so, over the last three years, this program was created, and has helped educate more than 12,000 kids in 175 schools. We want to finish the job we started, and expand this program so that all Iowa children have access. To do so, we need $15 million, and the Governor and I are asking the legislature to include those funds in our final budget.

It's hard for me to believe, but some people are out there saying that we should cut or even eliminate the preschool program. That just shows a real lack of commitment to our kids and a lack of understanding of child development.


As a state, we have always put our children first, and that is exactly what we are doing with our 4 year old voluntary preschool program.

And if you don't believe me, go to Red Oak and see the kids at Kaleidoscope. While I was there, I read to the kids and helped them put puzzles together. It was so much fun! And what I saw in those kids was a real spark for learning. We must keep this program going, and help all of our kids reach their fullest potential.


Well, another day is done, and now its back to Des Moines. John and I are going to the Iowa Energy game tonight at Wells Fargo, so maybe I will see a few of you there.

And if not, stay dry, warm, and most importantly, safe this weekend.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment