Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Improving Safety, Creating Jobs in Mt. Pleasant


We are just leaving Mt. Pleasant. We started our visit with a delicious lunch at Jerry's Restaurant, and then spent a little time at Lori's Loft looking for some last minute Christmas gifts.

With our stomach's full, we headed on to our I-Jobs event at the old grocery store. Now, I know that seems like an odd place to do a press conference, but this building, which had been vacant for a long time, is being transformed into Mt. Pleasant's new police department thanks to $600,000 in I-JOBS funds.

Now, many people in the minority party in the legislature continue to criticize the Governor and me for creating I-JOBS, saying that this program will not create good jobs. Well, they need to come to Mt. Pleasant and tell that to the 40 people who now have jobs this Christmas building the new police station. This project proves that I-JOBS is putting people to work and turning this economy around. And the best part is that it is improving our quality-of-life. These naysayers can, and no doubt will, keep on criticizing I-JOBS. But they should know that they are not only criticizing me and the Governor. They are also criticizing the communities that are creating jobs and helping us build Iowa's future.


I'm glad we made a stop in Mt. Pleasant. It was great to see the real and immediate impact this money is having on our state.

And I do have some roots in Mt. Pleasant, too. My dad attended Iowa Wesleyan College as a young sailor home from WWII. While he was studying, I began my school years just up the street from the campus. We lived here two years before moving to Albia. I took a drive around but the campus has grown and changed so much that not much is recognizable.

Well, we have one more event today up in Letts before heading home.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment