Monday, December 7, 2009

Indianola Receives Critical I-JOBS Funding

Our southern Iowa tour began with a stop in Indianola. We visited the National Balloon Museum, which I visited earlier this summer as part of my Travel Iowa '09 Tour. When I was there last time, I was so busy looking at the balloons that I didn't notice this popular attraction is situated right on the bank of a creek.

In recent years, this creek has flooded, and while the building remained dry, the bank of the creek has been eroding. As a result, both the parking lot and the building are in danger should the bank erode any further.

So, to help protect this Iowa treasure, I-JOBS will provide $188,300 for a project that will secure the north bank. And in the process, we will create some jobs that will help support the local economy.

This is exactly the type of project I-JOBS was designed for. These funds will help meet this community's infrastructure needs while creating good jobs for Iowans.

At the event was my good friend Sen. Staci Appel, who was instrumental in getting I-JOBS through the legislature. It was great to see her, and thank her for helping us make these projects like this one happen.

Well, we are on the snow-covered roads of Southern Iowa now. The weather forecasts say we are supposed to get more. So, with one eye to the sky, we keep on moving to our next event in Creston. We have plenty of hot coffee and some good cookies in the car, so we are in good shape for a wintery day.

See you down the road,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment