Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Snowy Day

Wow- What a snowy morning here at the Capital ! I really hated to postpone the I-JOBS events we had scheduled in southeastern Iowa today, but by late yesterday afternoon the Highway Patrol was advising no travel today. So it was back home and a reschedule for next week.

I am in my office instead and trying to get through some paper work that has been piling up for the past few days. Not a very glamorous part of my job as Lt. Governor, but important none the less. But it’s not all paperwork this morning. As the Governor's Homeland Security Advisor, I am watching this storm very carefully. I am in constant contact with the folks at the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management as well as the Department of Transportation. We want to keep everyone safe so stay off the roads if at all possible and stay tuned for weather announcements.

The Governor was out and about this morning before the weather got too bad with a couple of appearances here in the metro area. He presented some new steps our administration will take to streamline state government and save taxpayer dollars, and if you want to learn more, visit our website at www.governor.iowa.gov. He also announced that as a result of a class-action lawsuit settlement Iowa schools will be receiving $58 million for the purchase of new technology. Good news for our kids!!

There are so many holiday events scheduled for all of us in the next couple of days including the annual state employees holiday lunch and open house on Friday. Hope the weather clears up so we can enjoy the season.

And speaking of the season – I certainly hope you are done with your holiday shopping. I know I am not. I am way behind on shopping, as usual, but my husband and I have three grandkids so I need to make a visit to a toy store soon.

Well, stay safe over the next few days.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment