Sunday, December 6, 2009

Welcome to my Blog

Hello again, and welcome to my blog.

I want to use this opporunity to report on some of those challenges facing our state and to share with you the steps the Culver/Judge Administration is taking to move Iowa forward. I also want to use this column to share with you some of the exciting places I am visiting here in our beautiful state and some of the people I meet along the way.

I hope to also get to know all of you better, and hear from you about your thoughts and ideas.

So, let’s get started with some travels that I did earlier this week.

This past legislative session, Governor Culver and I worked with the Legislature to create I-JOBS, our $830 million infrastructure investment initiative. Over the summer, the I-JOBS board awarded $118.5 million in funds to projects across the state, and now those funds are being put to work putting Iowans back to work.

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to visit some of these projects in Central Iowa. I saw Brooklyn’s plans for a new public safety building, Toledo’s public works building, Marshalltown’s efforts to reuse their historic Carnegie library, and Eldora’s reconstruction project on Hiway 175, which will prevent flooding in the community.

It really is amazing to see all of these projects taking off. Each and every one of these means new jobs for these communities – right at a time when Iowans need them the most.

And best of all, we are using gaming revenues, which means we are doing all of this without raising taxes one cent.

But what is really inspiring is to see the communities so excited about these projects. Each and every person I met that day is proud of their project, and the impact it will have on their community. I was glad to be able to see them for myself, and meet the Iowans who are helping to build Iowa’s future.

Well, next week I hit the road again. On Monday and Tuesday, we head down to southern Iowa to see more of these I-JOBS funds in action.

See you down the road,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment