Friday, February 12, 2010

Anamosa - Bennett Manufacturing

Our day of visiting Iowa companies came to an end with a stop in Anamosa.

The tour brought us to Bennett Manufacturing.

This company exemplifies Iowa small businesses. It was started in the 1970s by the Martin Family as a small repair shop. Over the course of four decades, it grew to what it is today - a company that employs 78 people and provides parts to companies like John Deere.

And just like many small businesses, they have been impacted by the recession. But what this business has really struggled with in recent years is finding a skilled, qualified workforce. This is a problem all across the state.

That is why the Governor and I believe we must continue to invest in our workforce training programs. Now, more than ever, we need these programs to make sure that as the economy improves, we have the right workers to fill the positions our economy demands.

So, I was glad to be here, and listen to the concerns that people have here in Jones County. This county has been hit hard by the recession, and on the state level, the Governor and I are working hard to help turn the economy around -and because of businesses like Bennett Manufacuring, I know that bright days are ahead for this community.

Well, we are back in the car, and we are heading to Des Moines. It was a quick, but great trip.
I hope everyone has a good Valentine's Day. I think John and I will do what we do every year - make some dinner and watch a good movie.

And this weekend, I am looking forward to getting to spend a little time with my 2 year old grandson Aiden. I don't get to spend nearly enough time with the little man, so it promises to be fun.

We are back on the road on Tuesday, so check back and see what we are up to.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment