Monday, February 22, 2010

Dakota City - Humbolt County Emergency Management Center

We ended our day at a nice stop in Dakota City at the Humboldt County Court House.

As Iowa's Homeland Security Advisor, I know how important local emergency management centers are to our state and to protecting Iowans.

But here in Humboldt County, they have not had a real center and as a result, it was very difficult for them to respond to disasters. For example, during the floods of 2008, they didn't have a command center, so precious hours were wasted setting one up at a local school. And I can tell you, during a disaster there is no time to waste.


So, I was proud to travel up here and celebrate with them, their I-JOBS grant for a new emergency operations center. This will help the area meet any disaster head-on. It will allow them to coordinate their efforts, and in the process, better save homes, businesses, and - most importantly - lives.

While I was at the courthouse, I checked out the emergency manager's current digs. Let me tell you, this center is needed. And the community is excited too. They even had cookies made up to celebrate this I-JOBS project. It seems to be a recurring theme. I'm beginning to think that one of the economic impacts that I-JOBs has is baked goods being printed up across the state for these events.


The people in Humboldt County were gracious hosts, and I was proud to be here to celebrate the good work they are doing.

Well, we are done with our official duties for the day. We are spending the night down in Fort Dodge before hitting the road tomorrow for a few more events.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment