Monday, February 22, 2010

Pocahontas - All-Start Preschool

The fourth stop on our whirlwind tour of northwest Iowa took us to Pocahontas and the All-Start Preschool.

What really impressed me here was the great job the teachers are doing. I don't know how they do it. I have been told that I have the patience of a gnat, which is not a good quality in a teacher. But these dedicated public servants are doing such good work. They are interacting with our children and teaching them the skills they need for their future. It is true all across our state, including here in Pocahontas. The teachers at All-Start Preschool clearly have enthusiam and passion for what they doing.

When I visited, I got to read a book to the kids, which is always so much fun (about a dinosaur with terrible table manners). They also sang a couple of songs for me. But what was really impressive was when I helped them work their alphabet. They even taught me a thing or two. I had no idea what a numbat was before I came here today, but these smart little tykes sure did (it lives in Australia). They really know their stuff, and the Governor and I want all kids in the state to have the same opportunity as those in Pocahontas.


Well, it was another good stop. We are on our way to our last stop for the day in Dakota City.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment