Monday, February 22, 2010

Jefferson - Scranton Elementary



The car stopped in Jefferson midmorning at the Jefferson-Scranton Elementary to visit their state-funded preschool program.

This is the fourth preschool program I have visited on the "Moving Iowa Forward" tour, so you would think this is old hat by now. However, I am still amazed when I see the work that these programs are doing.

Now, I am a proud grandmother to three beautiful, smart kids, one of whom is now in Kindergarten.

Annie was fortunate to have attended preschool. And you can see the impact of that experience now that she is in kindergarten. She is a good learner and likes school.

We need to ensure that every child has the same experience, whether their families have the resources or not. That is why we are fighting so hard to provide more funding for preschool.
And if you don't believe this program is working, come to Jefferson-Scranton. This is only their first year of the program, but the kids are already doing great work.

Today, the focus was the Olympics, and the children were learning about the medals, and doing their own version of Olympic sports. The bobsled looked really fun, (it involved sitting in a plastic laundry basket) but I don't think I would have fit.


All in all, it was a great visit, and I was happy to see the work Jefferson-Scranton has done.

Well, now its off to Rockwell City. Though they didn't get any snow, the wind is blowing snow across the road. I can't wait for spring.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment