Monday, March 1, 2010

Centerville - Sewer System Repairs

Our last stop today brought us to Centerville - another town I know well. I represented Appanoose County when I was in the state senate and I have knocked on every door in the community more than once.

We got to town a bit early, and stopped by Tangleberry's - a fun coffee shop on the town square. I just got a coffee, but of course Mike - our trooper - got fudge. I had to restrain myself from getting a piece myself. We are halfway through Live Healthy Iowa, and I want to meet my goals.

We then traveled over to the library for our event. But, before we began I had to take a moment or two to admire this beautiful building. It has recently undergone a renovation, and it is just amazing. They have an unbelievable stained glass dome and it is just wonderful that Centerville has preserved this treasure.

White the building is beautiful, that is not why we were here. In fact, we were hear to talk about one of the most unattractive - but vitally important - structures in our towns and cities - sewers.

When you think about the disasters of 2008, we automatically think of places like Cedar Rapids, Parkersburg, and Oakville. Few think of Centerville, but it too was struck hard by flooding. And as a result the city storm sewer system took a beating.

So the Governor and I were glad to announce last month that Centerville, along with 16 other communities, would receive disaster funds for their sewer system repairs. The $600,000 that the community recieved will be used to make necessary repairs and secure the system for years to come. And in the meantime, we will be putting people to work here in Southern Iowa. So, this is good news for Centerville, and good news for Iowa.

We are now heading for our stop for the night in Fairfield. It was great to be back home, and see some old friends. But tomorrow we will be back at it, doing four stops in Southeast Iowa.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment