Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Harlan - Petersen Family Wellness Center

Our tour today ended with a stop at Myrtue Medical Center in Harlan to talk about an exciting new project in their community.

When people think of I-JOBS, they normally think of roads, bridges, and vertical infrastructure. What people don't realize is the impact that I-JOBS is having on our quality of life. But that is exactly what I-JOBS is doing in Shelby County.

Through the I-JOBS and Community Attractions and Tourism Programs, Harlan received more than $1.1 million to build a new wellness and aquatic center. The Petersen Family Wellness Center will be a bright, inviting facility that will help encourage people to work out. And the aquatic center will feature slides, spas, and a lazy river that will not only be entertaining for families, but also make exercise fun.

This center will give this great western Iowa community a new tool in its fight to combat illness and promote better living.

As a former nurse, promoting wellness is one of my top priorities, so, I was excited to see that I-JOBS is helping to make our state healthier.

But I am not the only one excited by this project. The community is excited about the possibilities of this new center.

During our visit today, the hospital - which will run the center - gave us a presentation on the project. Let me tell you, Harlan gets it. They understand the importance of wellness and how that impacts the community. They are trying to make their hospital not a place focused on illness, but a place that promotes wellness. And thanks in part to I-JOBS, they are doing just that.

So, it was great to see this project, and I hope I can come back this summer when they get it all done.

Well, we are now on our way back to Des Moines. This trip was more than likely our last trip for the legislative session. Next week, I am off to Washington, D.C. for a few days at the National Lt. Governors Association Annual Meeting. And then we are going to be in budget negotiations as we quickly come up on the legislature's 80 day deadline.

We will be back on the road as soon as the final bills are passed.

But don't think that means I won't be blogging. I have had a lot of fun sharing the story of Iowa, and I plan on keeping that up - whether I'm on the road or in the Capitol.

So, until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment