Tuesday, March 2, 2010

West Burlington preschool

Our next stop brought us to West Burlington for a look at the work they are doing at their preschool.

This was once again a great event. I just love when I can spend some time with the kids.

We started by working with some kids on spelling their names. But rather than practice on paper, we did it in shaving cream spread out on the table. I wish I didn't have a dry clean only suit on because I really wanted to play with that foam too!

Next, some of the children prepared my "lunch" using toys that look like food. They had what you would expect - meat, cheese, bread, apples, and bananas. But they also had something I had sure never seen as a kid - sushi!

Finally, I read a book to the kids called "Bear was Scared." I have been to many preschools during this tour, and I must say - I have read some pretty interesting books as part of my travels.

Afterwards, I answered some questions from the media, and one of them said that some legislators had questioned investing money in the preschool programs during difficult budget times. Well, now is exactly the time we need to be funding these programs. We have no greater responsibility as a state - good times or bad - than to ensure the success of our children. The Governor and I have clearly laid out that our children are a priority, and that is why we are asking for the $15 million in new funding for preschools. And if they don't believe me, they need to come here to West Burlington and see for themselves the impact this program is having. Standing up for children is not a partisan issue, and it is disappointing when people try to make it one.

One last note on West Burlington - their school has a very peculiar staff member. Her name is Abby, and unlike the other teachers and staff she has four legs and a tail. She is really cute and friendly black lab dog. They found her as a puppy during the floods in 2008, and she is now helping people with disabilities. Her picture is even on the staff profile board!

Well, we are a few minutes behind schedule, and are going as fast as we legally can to our last stop in Mt. Pleasant.

Until Next Time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment