Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Keosaqua - TigerHawk Profiles

After a great event in Fairfield, wehad another in Keosauqua.

Our tour brought us to TigerHawk Profiles, a plastic manufacturer just west of town.

They are doing some innovative work, and their products are used in products we use everyday, such as washing machines, vacuum cleaners, and refrigeration products.

After a good meeting with employees and community members, I took a tour of the factory, to see for myself some of the work they are doing.

I ended the tour on a very positive note. I struck up a conversation with a woman who was making gaskets for washing machines. She told me she was an employee at Maytag, but got laid off when they shut down. So, after being unemployed for a long while, she came here to Keosauqua and got a job at TigerHawk. She told me how grateful she was to have a job.

She is one of about 50 employees, and TigerHawk has plans to expand. It just goes to show that even during these difficult times, good things are happening in Iowa. In the coming months and years, Tigerhawk will be putting more people to work here in Van Buren County, and I was glad to be able to come here and see it for myself.

Afterwards, the staff and I to a few minutes to drive by one of the great treasures in this community - the Hotel Manning.

The Hotel Manning holds a special place in my heart. As a little kid growing up in neighboring Farmington, my family used to come to the Hotel Manning for Sunday brunch. Last summer, I heard it was for sale, and my press secretary Troy and I had the idea that we should buy it, but,
unfortunately, we ran into resistance from our respective spouses. Nevertheless, we still haven't lost sight of our goal. So, we went to take another look. The For Sale sign is gone so I'm not sure it is for sale anymore. Oh well, its a nice to have a dream of the sitting on the veranda watching the Des Moines River roll by.

Well, we are back in the car. This time, heading east to West Burlington.

Until next time,

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment